I just read an amazing blog by Dr. Laura entitled "Live Like You Were Dyin". I have always admired her common sense approach to everyday problems. Listening to her on the radio on AM 640 when I'm in the car from 12-3 p.m. weekdays (geez, I sound like an ad for her, but that's okay!) is something I really enjoy. I know some people can't stand her, but to me she has the type of wisdom and perspective that I wish I could emulate much better in my life. She is truly an inspiring woman. I have wanted to call her a dozen times but have yet had the courage to make that first call.
Anyway, she told a couple of stories in her blog that really hit home with me because of the medical issues I'm having with my parents. And, her perspective and advice about how we should live our lives is just what I needed to hear. I've added the stories and her comments below. And while copying her blog entry may be a no-no, I decided to do it because she says it much better than I ever could have. And we can all learn from her wisdom. I wouldn't add her thoughts without giving her full credit. But don't worry, I will add my comments below hers! : )
FROM DR LAURA'S BLOG:
"Recently, I found out that a couple I know have been dealt a terrible blow. Beginning last January, the husband noticed his wife stopped doing her complicated crossword puzzles. Now he’s dealing with the fact that the love of his life has Stage IV Alzheimer’s disease. While it is unusual for all of this to evolve so quickly, the horrible reality is that they have to deal with this news at a time in their lives when their only concern should be thinking of having fun with their grandchildren.
Also not long ago, I read a letter on my radio program from a woman who commented about a caller who complained that her husband wasn’t willing or able to properly install their child’s car seat. The letter writer told a story about her own family - her husband, also, struggled to properly secure their child’s car seat. Then, not long after doing so, a huge truck “T-boned” their car and killed her husband, injuring his wife (who was the one who wrote to me), but leaving uninjured their 2½ year old child who was saved because of the properly secured car seat.
The lesson here? You NEVER know what the day is going to bring. For those of you who work so hard to preserve the hate and hurt from your past (so much so that the present is ruined, and the future automatically looks bleak), hear me out now:
Today really is the first day of the rest of your life.
Today, YOU are the architect of your life.
Today is the day available to enjoy the blessings you do have.
There may not be a tomorrow. Don’t live as though you had all eternity to get fit, stop smoking, and give up abusing drugs, alcohol or food. Be nice to others, work hard at something, give of yourself to someone else, and let go of excuses and “blaming” behavior. You don’t have all eternity. You only know for sure that you have right now.
Don’t waste it." (END OF DR LAURA'S BLOG).
On to my thoughts . . .
I've always been a person who tries to savor the moment. This is probably the reason for my thousands of pictures each year and (not nearly as many) journal entries -I just don't want to forget the joy of each day, the beauty of the trees, the (usually) fun family parties, the amazing skies and sunsets, and last but not least, the fun times with my family and friends. I always try to appreciate the little things in life and recognize the hand of our Heavenly Father in all things.
At times I can be too sentimental and it hurts. It's hard to have a birthday without realizing the next day I'll be a year older, and that younger age is gone forever. Life just moves along too quickly. Many of you laugh when I call and tell you the day before your birthday, "Today is your last day to be ____ age!" It's especially hard to watch my kids grow up and realize they never again will be the younger age and the little boys that need me and love me unconditionally.
Well, we all have struggles and I'm not exempt. I certainly am not a good example of all (or even some) of Dr. Laura's counsel, even though she uses some of my favorite sayings. The past few weeks have been especially difficult ones for me. So I feel that today's blog was H E A V E N S E N T. After reading it through quickly the first time, I was going to close it and forget it because the message is painful also. Then I realized that it was perfect advice for my life and I needed to reflect and ponder it more deeply. And hard as it was, I want to remember it and try to incorporate it in my life. So what better way to do so than to add it to my blog and share it with others and remind myself daily of this goal.
Sometimes, it's so hard to forget past problems and not get overwhelmed by life's daily challenges. In reading her counsel, I realize I need to do better. Much better. And I'm going to start today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment