Saturday, August 22, 2009

These are a Few of my Favorite Things

Enjoying the beautiful world around me - flowers, trees, sunsets, clouds, the sky. We live in such a magnificient world replete with beauty everywhere we look. It's so important to try to take time to recognize and appreciate all these creations that truly make our lives more fragrant, beautiful and enjoyable.

Trees, glorious trees. I could devote a whole blog to this love of mine. I especially love learning the names of trees and watching them change during the different seasons. I always carry my camera and a special leaf collecting bag filled with supplies. I love to stop by the side of the road, or in a park, or anywhere I am, and photograph new trees from different angles, showing the bark, leaves and flowers (although my family doesn't love this passion nearly as much as I do!) Then I cut a few leaves, dry them in books and preserve the dried leaves in special notebooks I've created just for this purpose. It has taken me years of practice to figure out the best way to preserve the beautiful leaves and I'm still working on an even better method.

Reading a book that is so good I just can't put it down and can't wait to read it again. Only the best books earn the coveted term of "froggies" because they are the most riveting. This is the ultimate form of relaxation. I love sharing my love of reading with others.

Recording special moments with pictures. I love taking pictures and have taken pics for my family and friends for over 30 years. Nothing is as special as looking back on moments that could've been forgotten but yet are treasured and cherished for years.

Being greeted by my cockatiel, Sweetie Bird, with a song when he hears the garage door open as I'm coming home. Cuddling with him, watching him take a bath and watching him fly around the house is great. He is a very tame and sweet bird (hence the name!).

Traveling is the best. When Chris and I first got married, we were able to travel extensively. These are special memories. We've also lived in many states along the way. I'm so thankful I have lots of pictures to remember special places that I'm sure would be long gone from the memory banks 25 years later!

My kids, grandkids & family. What could be more special? I am truly blessed. These joys will be covered extensively in the blogs to come.

My sweet puppy, Champion. While I've had many dogs in my life, none has been as cherished as this Shih-Tzu who loves me unconditionally, is sad when I leave and always excited when I return, who waits for me in the car by looking out the window or with his paws on the dashboard and who follows me from room to room. He has truly sweetened my life and is my Champ.

I could go on and on . . . And will do so in the future in this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome! So glad to see we made the blog :) You will have to start letting us know what you're reading...always love a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. with your love of trees, when are you going to come retire out here...2 perks, surrounded by grandkids and all the trees you could dream of!

    welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete