Sunday, July 4, 2010

Surprise 60th Anniversary Visit to WA State

My parents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary last week, June 25, 2010, to be exact.    I decided a few weeks ago to fly to Washington State and surprise them.  After seeing them many times a week the past year, and having not seen them since I helped move them to WA last October, I really missed them.  What a long, long time to be apart.  It was also Mom's birthday the week before and Father's Day two days earlier so it was a great time to surprise them.

I flew into Bellingham, WA, on Tuesday, 6/22/10.  Mom and Dad were asked to come into the "Sun Room" from their bedroom because they had "a surprise" waiting there.  They thought it was something that came in the mail.

Well, I came via air just like the mail and was a surprise package, but not quite what they were expecting! Mom was wheeled in by Tony, who owns Alabama Hill Adult Home with his wife, Claudia. 


Mom didn't see me at first because I was sitting on the couch, not in her direct sight.  As she was wheeled in, she looked around, wondering what the gift was.  I was poised and ready with the camera, of course, to record her surprise!  You know,
a picture is worth a thousand words!


Dad was right behind her and had a similar expression:

It was so fun to surprise them.  At dinner that night, Dad said it was the best day ever because I was there with them.  He doesn't say sweet gushies like that very often so it was extra special.  That comment made the trip perfect for me.

The five days I was there went so fast.  We had so much fun together talking, playing cards, eating and shopping.  Mom has improved so much since I last saw her 8 months ago.  She is so alert, talkative, attentive and at peace.  She has gained back the weight she lost last year and looks great.

One of the days we went to the mall to buy new clothes.  Here is a picture taken in their bedroom on our way out.  Kohls was our first stop and she really made out like a bandit with many new shirts and pants.  We also went out to lunch at Applebys.  Dad stayed at home and listened to Rush Limbaugh on the radio and watched the news.  He also went swimming most every day at a gym he recently joined.


This great tan suede coat was a bargain we found at Kohls for only $12!  Don't you just love their sales?  We are on our way to celebrate their 60th anniversary.  Doesn't she look so beautiful?  Hard to believe she is 83 years young!


Another great shot . . .


It was ironic because Dad had a shirt that was almost identical in color and fabric in his closet.
They looked so cute in matching outfits. 


Can't miss a cute picture of Dad alone.  He'll be 84 in October.


Had to take some pictures to memorialize the special event.
Yes, my camera is my best friend!  : )


We celebrated their anniversary at Cliffhouse, a great restaurant in Bellingham that is right on the water. 
Here's a view from the parking lot:


And from inside the restaurant:


We sat at the window and had such a nice view in all directions. It was about 5:30 and the sun was still high in the sky.

I just love this picture.
Aren't they so cute?  60 years married.  SIXTY. 
 

And they are still so in love.



Claudia, seated at the front left, joined us for dinner.  She owns Alabama Hill Adult Home with her husband, Tony.  They are from Romania, have a two year old son and a baby on the way.  They are so attentive, loving, kind and overall take such great care of Mom and Dad.  We are all so very thankful for them.


Another shot of us . . .


After a great dinner of steak and chicken, the waitress surprised them with a yummy dessert.


Of course, they blew the candles out together.


I had a great 5 days with them and miss them already.
I am so thankful they are my parents.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful you were able to share that with them. They are looking great! Sixty years-phew! That's impressive...

    ReplyDelete