Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Baptism Day - Pics & Excerpts From My Journal

Since I joined the church 29 years ago today, I have always tried to keep a journal, especially to record events from very important days, like my baptism.  Thankfully, I started my church life out properly by writing in my first journal on my baptism day.  I feel confident that Sharyn's Grandpa Dover, whom I loved so much, gave me the suggestion to record my feelings on this special day.  He also gave me many blessings during the next few years, and always directed me to go home and ponder and write about them in my journal.  (Although I have to admit that many times after a blessing, I would want to go out on a date or with friends to have fun, but I always followed his wise advice, even though it was hard at times!)

I just pulled out my Book of Remembrance which contains my journal entry from my baptism day.  Originally, I wrote it out longhand, since we didn't have computers in those days (boy, does that make me feel old!) I typed it up in 1992; it is five pages in length, and has been so fun to re-read through today on my anniversary.  Thank heavens I followed wise counsel and recorded my feelings.  I thought it would be fun to share some excerpts directly from my journal exactly as I wrote it 29 years ago.  These original entries are shown in quotes and are italicized.

"It is so hard to explain how happy I feel this day as I was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  This beautiful day has got to be the most important and the most special of my life, and one that I will never forget."

Picture taken June, 1982 - 1 year and 7 months after my baptism, at the age of 23, when I went to the Los Angeles Temple to take out my own endowments.  I couldn't find any pictures from around the time of my baptism.

"I had been thinking about the church a lot, and had been reading the pamphlets I had received from Utah two years previous.  (When I was at BYU with Sharyn in 1978).  I had been praying so earnestly, and I felt like I had finally received my answer about the gospel.  I had such a strong, warm feeling about the church and I began to take the missionary lessons on October 8th. I made my decision on October 25th that I was going to be baptized into the church the following Saturday.  This decision made me the happiest I have ever been." 

"Thank goodness for Sharyn and the Kenningtons, that they did not give up on me when I rejected this church, but instead remained steadfast in their desire to have me see the light.  Through Sharyn's example, beauty of character and spirituality, I have learned more than a dozen books could have ever taught me.  She has always been the best of friends, and I am so grateful for her loyalty and example." 


This is from June, 1982 of Sharyn and me at the LA Temple.  I couldn't find a picture of us together from 1980 when I was baptized.  I wasn't such a big picture taker then!  (hard to believe, right!?!!)


"Her family is unreal - never have I seen assembled under one roof so many warm and loving people.  Essie has helped me more than I could ever say.  Her ideals and family basis and strength are ones that I will try always to emulate.  I thank my Heavenly Father continuously for letting me have the privilege to know and become so close to this wonderful family."

FROM LEFT:  Sharyn, Grandma Dover (Essie's Mom  and Sharyn's Grandma), Brian holding one month old Tiffany, Nita and Essie (Sharyn's Mom).
They all went with me and stayed in a hotel across from the temple the night before my big day.  More fun memories of very happy times.

"October 31st, the day before my baptism, was a milestone for me.  How symbolic that the day beforeI was baptized ended so many important things:  my job, my relationship and my home".

"The day of my baptism beheld the most gorgeous weather we have had in a long time. My baptism began a little after 2:00.  I was wearing the beautiful white long dress that Sharyn had made that day (what a surprise) especially for this occasion."

(Sharyn's Dad) Hal conducted the baptism, which was held at his home, and we sang her Grandpa Dover's favorite song, which is now my favorite song, "I Stand All Amazed".  Here is the baptism program as written up by one of the elders right before my baptism:



Sharyn was then my first speaker, and what an absolutely beautiful talk on baptism she gave".  She may not even realize I grabbed her talk that day and put in my book of remembrance.  Of course, she had to type it up on a typewriter . . .



Next was Grandpa Dover's talk on the Holy Ghost.  He is such a special person to me, and his talk was so spiritual and informative and it came with such strength and faith that it was truly an experience and privilege to sit and listen to him speak at my baptism."

"I was so excited and scared that I know I was on a cloud all day long, especially as I walked down to the Kennington's pool to be baptized.  Everyone gathered around the pool, and Bishop Crews (my first bishop) and Hal were appointed to be the witnesses".

I had chosen Sharyn's husband, Brian, to baptize me because of our close relationship, his great example and the kindness he always showed me. He is like a brother to me. 

This picture shows Shawn sitting on the jacuzzi, Sharla's standing in the red dress, my sister Barbara in the blue dress and her then fiancee, Sergei, in the white pants, Sharyn kneeling with Trina in front of her and Joy Glazier sitting.

"As Brian and I got into the water, which was about 80 degrees, I felt so happy, and I had such a warm feeling in my heart that I know my Heavenly Father was present." 

"Brian wetted down the ends of my hair so they wouldn't float up and I held my dress, because if any part of me isn't completely immersed, I would have to be re-dunked!"  Brian then said the baptism prayer but "I had to be dunked a second time because Brian said a couple of words wrong, and they have to be said in the exact order, as stated in the 20th section of the Doctrine and Covenants.  As Brian and I got out of the water, I felt such a special closeness to Heavenly Father, and to Brian also, because he is so special and has been such a big help to me."

"I then went upstairs into the Kennington home and got dressed in my red dress with its matching jacket.  Essie and Sharla helped and talked to me , and then we all walked downstairs for my confirmation."

"I had asked Grandpa Dover to confirm me."  After he confirmed me a member of the church, "he then went on to give me a blessing, which lasted for about two minutes and was very special to me.  He blessed me with health, knowledge and wisdom, to know that which is right and wrong.  (And many other things that I'm not writing due to space).  It was such a special blessing, but most importantly, through his words and the laying on of hands, I was bestowed with the Holy Ghost!!  I pray that my body will always be a temple in which the Holy Ghost can dwell and that I will always understand and heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost". 

I then went on to record my first written testimony, which is half a page typed.  Brief excerpts:  "I am so thankful for the church.  I know it is indeed the true church of God and that Joseph Smith was a living prophet of God called to restore the gospel in these latter days.  I know that President Spencer W. Kimball is our living prophet today, and that he receives divine revelations from our Heavenly Father to help guide and direct us.  I pray that I will always live the type of life that the Holy Ghost will always be with me to guide and direct me, and that I will grow stronger day by day in my testimony and knowledge of this church".

So, now, 29 years later, at the age of 50 (I can't believe I'm admitting it!), I still Stand All Amazed At The Love Jesus Offers Me.  I'm so thankful to be a member of this true church.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these special memories. I am so thankful that you have written these special moments down and can share them with us. I love you and am so thankful to have you for by best friend. I can't believe it has been so many years.... It doesn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm so impressed you have this all written down AND typed up! What a beautiful testimony and experiences. I'm so glad I was there, even though I was so tiny I don't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. That is a lot of fluffy hair I've got there. You look so cute and so excited. I don't remeber Tiffany being there, but that makes since as I was nursing. I wonder who watched her for me?? What a wonderful day and experience. I'm so glad you have it all documented. Love the talk!! Wow, typos? but hey, who wants to start all over when you make a mistake. My kids don't understand. Just spell check it and print it again!

    ReplyDelete